Sunday, May 10, 2009

Needs a name?




Wood
Sphere: Camphor Laurel
Dowels: Jarrah, Black Maire, Matai, Rimu, Lemon, Macrocarpa, Osage orange
Diam: 125 (5")
Height: 200mm (8")

I am very unsure of this piece and don't even know if I like it. I got half way through making it and was unsure whether I should continue and finish it.
The sphere is drilled, turned, drilled five more 20mm holes at 90 degrees to the original holes then hollowed, scorched and painted with a wash of dark blue. The side holes looked too small and decided to remount it and turn them to about 45mm. I think it looks better but still pretty weird.
What do think?
Sorry the photo isn't the best and, need better lighting.
Comments and critiques welcome.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I like this piece a lot...never seen anything like it before. I would think many combinations of other wood would work as well!

DonKJr said...

I think its a "sphereicle"

Robbie said...

Thanks Guys, will give it a name soon as I have had a few suggestions.
cheers, Robbie