Thursday, March 5, 2009

Turning Tools Open Day

Hi All,
I was invited to demonstrate at the Turning Tools Open Day last weekend hosted by the South Auckland Woodturners Guild and put on by Ian Fish. I must say it was very well run, I think from memory there were about eighty five attendees or more, which was pretty impressive. The club rooms are very well set up and can handle that number if not a few more all in tiered seating.
The day started off with Dick Vietch opening the day then handing it over to Ian who gave us the program for the day.

Ian had organised for me to demonstrate from 10.15 and finish at 12 for lunch. During lunch there was plenty of time to purchase woodturning tools and equipment from Turning Tools and Treeworkx, also to look around the instant gallery and silent auction table made up of used tools and appliances. Shane Hewitt was demonstrating from 1.30 till 3.
For my demo I decided to do a small version of my “Toru” series, which involves mostly multi axis turning all on a MDF face plate. I used two eight mm gouges and a parting tool to achieve this form and showed how to reach in tight spots using different grinds on a gouge.




Shane showed us how to save part of the bowl blank by turning it off and adding it to the top of the bowl, making it taller. He also showed how to make a top for a hollow vessel using a different wood to add character to the piece and add height to the vessel.

The day was finished up with the countdown to the silent auction, with every one trying to get their last bids on before the cut-off time.
I had a great day. Thanks to Ian Fish and the South Auckland Woodturners Guild!
Robbie

No comments: